George Washington Parkway Classic 10 Mile & 5K
Run the “Prettiest run this side of the Potomac!” Previously named a top race by the Washington Post Express, the Parkway Classic is an area favorite for its gorgeous route, capped field size, and runner amenities. The April 13, 2014, running of the Parkway Classic marks the 30th Anniversary for this local favorite and to commemorate this anniversary, all race participants will receive a finishers medal. You don’t want to miss being a part of the epic celebration!
The Parkway Classic is also the host to the BAE Systems MacArthur Cup, a team competition for active military, and is a primary sponsor of the Boys & Girls Club of Alexandria.
10 MI: USATF-certified course from Mt. Vernon Estates to Old Town, Alexandria. Point-to-point. Rolling hills with downhill grade.
5K: USATF-certified course from Belle Haven Marina to Old Town, Alexandria. Point-to-point. Rolling hills.
10 Mile Open Men: Demesse Tefera (Ethiopia), 47:30 (2007)
10 Mile Open Women: Tatiana Chulakh (Russia), 55:39 (2007)
Packet Pick Up
Race packets are available according to the schedule below. Please note, race packets will NOT available for pick up during the week from any of our locations.
Saturday, April 5 from 10AM – 6PM
All Pacers Running Stores locations
Packets will be available only at Pacers Alexandria during race weekend. Packets are NOTavailable race weekend at any of our other locations.
Friday, April 11 from 10AM – 8PM
1301 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Saturday, April 12 from 10AM – 6PM
1301 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Your race packet will include your race bib, timing chip, safety pins, fun tech tee and clear plastic bag check bag!
Individuals who request packet mailing (indicated in your registration) will receive their race packets in early April 2014.
Questions about packet pick up? View Event Policies.
The GW Parkway Classic 10 Miler and 5K is a point to point race. The 10 Miler starts at Mt. Vernon Estates and finishes in Old Town, Alexandria at Oronoco Bay Park, the 5K starts at Belle Haven Marina and finishes in Old Town, Alexandria at Oronoco Bay Park. Both races start at 8:00AM. Because the race is point to point, runners will have to take advantage of one of the transportation options we offer. View Transportation Options
Please note the following:
- Vehicular access to the start is extremely limited. If you are being dropped off at the 10 Mile start, you will need to be dropped off south of the Post Office (there’s a bus turnaround approximately 800m south of the Post Office that will serve as a drop off point). You will not have access via vehicle to the Post Office OR the Circle in front of Mount Vernon Estates.
- No personal vehicles may park at Mount Vernon. Any personal vehicles parked at Mount Vernon will be towed.
- Restricted Parking: There are absolutely no vehicles allowed north of King and South of Pendleton on Union Street or where posted on Franklin Street. Any vehicle parked in these areas will be ticketed and towed.
There is a bag drop for both the 10 mile race (Mt Vernon) and the 5K race (Belle Haven) located at the start area.
After the races start (8:00am), all checked items will be shuttled to finish and waiting for you in the Park Festival area at Bag Claim.
PLEASE NOTE: Bag check and claim areas are manned by volunteers and staff. The event is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Leave at your own risk. Any items not picked up by the end of the event are taken to the Pacers Alexandria store and may be retrieved there. Items left after seven days will be tossed or donated to charity.
- Spectators tend to congregate along Union Street. Only bibbed runners, credentialed staff, and police will be allowed in and around the finish line chute. Absolutely NO exceptions.
- Spectators are allowed to view along any portion of the course, however, should be cognizant of road closures.
- Bikes will absolutely not be allowed on the parkway or the course, but are allowed on the bike path.
On Course Support
- Restrooms and water stops will be available at the starts, finish, and along the course.
- Water/hydration stations will be available on course at approximately every 2 miles.
- Medical support is managed by Alexandria Fire/EMS.
- In addition, we have medical volunteers stationed at the finish.
If you need medical assistance, please flag one of the many officers located at each intersection of the course OR ask for assistance at any one of the water stations. In addition, bike and gator medics will be patrolling the course.
Course Pace Timelines & Sag Bus
- Course time limits — from the gun start GWPC runners must arrive at each mile mark by the time of day noted:
Mile 1: 8:30am;
Mile 2: 8:45am;
Mile 3: 9:00am;
Mile 4: 9:15am;
Mile 5: 9:30am;
Mile 6: 9:45am;
Mile 7: 10:00am;
Mile 8: 10:15am;
Mile 9: 10:30am;
- We will have a sag bus manned by a nurse following the last runner.
- You must maintain a 15 minute pace to not be placed on SAG. You will also be asked to board if you fall behind our course time limits.
- If you feel like you cannot complete the event for any reason, please board the sag bus.
- If you board the sag bus, you may NOT get off the sag bus and continue on the course.
- Early starts: Early starts are extremely limited due to course restrictions and are reserved exclusively for individuals who want to participate in the event and who indicated YES during registration to a slot with an anticipated pace of slower than 15 minutes. Early Start Slot requests have reached capacity for 2014 and are now closed. There will be three distinct early starts at 7:00 AM, 7:15 AM, and 7:30AM Runners who requested and met the criteria will be notified by March 1 via email whether they have been awarded an early start slot and for which time. Approved Early Start Runners will be asked to collect their Race Bibs at the Alexandria Old Town Packet Pickup Location to accommodate the special nature of the group bib assignments. (Runners who participate in an early start and who run a faster pace than 15 minutes may be held on course at different checkpoints based on our course restrictions and/or disqualified.)
- Runners who are not selected for an early start group and anticipate not being able to maintain a 15 minute pace are welcome to switch to the 5K distance and we are happy to make that edit for anyone who might feel that it’s their best plan for having a successful day.
Awards and Post Race Festivities
In honor of the 30th Anniversary of the GW Parkway Classic, all participants will receive a finishers medal! Celebrate your accomplishment with friends and family at Oronoco Bay Park. We will have post race food and refreshments for runners as well as music.
Must be 21 to consume alcohol.