Run the “Prettiest run this side of the Potomac!” Previously named a top race by the Washington Post Express, the Parkway Classic is an area favorite for its gorgeous route, capped field size, and runner amenities.
Now in its 29th year, the Parkway Classic is also the host to the BAE Systems MacArthur Cup, a team competition for active military, and is a primary sponsor of the Boys & Girls Club of Alexandria.
For the 2013 Parkway Classic, Pacers is proud to partner with the Alexandria Police Association on the “Laboystrong Mile”. The “Laboystrong Mile”, which will be the last mile of the Parkway Classic (both the 10 Miler and the 5K), will honor Motor Officer Peter Laboy. In addition to making a donation to the Laboy Recovery Fund, we will be selling Laboystrong customized race bibs to raise money for Peter’s recovery. The “Laboystrong Mile” of the race will have banners and other signs to motivate all runners to fight on like Peter, LABOYSTRONG!
In light of the tragic events at this Monday’s Boston Marathon, we have added some important updates to the sections below. This information will also be emailed to all participants. Your safety is our number one priority and we appreciate your patience and understanding.
We will be honoring Boston with a moment of silence before the start of Sunday’s race. Complimentary memorial blue/yellow ribbons for runners to wear while racing will be available at Packet Pick Up on Saturday and on race morning at both the 5K and 10 Miler bag drop. We are encouraging runners to wear their favorite race shirt, Boston colors or Boston gear. We, along with Road Runners Club of America, are encouraging runners wishing to make a financial contribution to make a donation directly to The One Fund, established by Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Tom Menino.
As so well evidenced by Monday’s events, our first responders are simply put, heroes. We ask you continue to support our local hero, Alexandria Officer Peter Laboy, who was shot in the line of duty a few short weeks ago. Officer Laboy was a regular at special events, and often worked the Parkway Classic and other local races.
We are raising funds for his recovery and are selling back bibs to wear in honor of Peter. 100% of your donation will go to his recovery. These bibs are available at packet pick up. You may also donate funds in Oronoco Bay Park post-race.
Race communications, sent via email, are linked directly below.
10 MI: USATF-certified course from Mt. Vernon Estates to Old Town, Alexandria. Point-to-point. Rolling hills with downhill grade.
5K: USATF-certified course from Belle Haven Marina to Old Town, Alexandria. Point-to-point. Rolling hills.
10 Mile Open Men: Demesse Tefera (Ethiopia), 47:30 (2007)
10 Mile Open Women: Tatiana Chulakh (Russia), 55:39 (2007)
Packet Pick Up
Race packets are NOT available for pick up during the week from any of our locations.
For the 2013 Parkway Classic, we are asking all participants to use the clear bag check bags that are available at Packet Pick Up, and should have been provided to you with your bib and race tee. If you picked up your packet last weekend and did NOT receive our clear plastic bag check bag, you may pick up a bag at any of our six locations Friday, April 19 or Saturday, April 20 during normal store hours. We will also have bags available at bag check for both the 5K and 10 Miler start. To expedite the bag check process, we strongly encourage runners to use the clear bag check bags and to NOT bring personal bags to bag check. Please note, all bags are subject to search.
You may continue to pick up bibs for friends or family, but please note that any bib swapping or any other unauthorized transfer of bibs is strictly prohibited. Do not sell, give away, or otherwise swap your bib. Our ability to quickly identify our participants and their next of kin is imperative to the sound execution of our health and safety plan. Anyone found swapping will be barred from future Pacers races.
Packets will be available only at Pacers Alexandria during race weekend. Packets are NOT available race weekend at any of our other locations.
April 19 from 10AM – 8PM
1301 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
April 20 from 10AM – 6PM
1301 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
There will be absolutely NO race day packet pick up.
Your packet includes your race bib with timing tag, safety pins, a technical race tee and our clear plastic bag check bag.
Individuals who requested packet mailing (in the registration process) should receive their race packet by Thursday, April 18. Race packets will be mailed via Priority Mail on April 15, 2013. If you do NOT receive your packet by Thursday, April 18, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about packet pick up? View Event Policies.
Please note additional safety procedures that will be in place for this weekends race highlighted below. Be sure to carefully read through all sections to ensure you are prepared for race morning. Please allow ample time to get to the start as with enhanced security you may encounter lines to board buses, may have your bag searched, and so on. We thank you for your patience and understanding.
The Parkway Classic 10MI and 5K is a point to point race. The 10 Miler starts at Mt. Vernon Estates and finishes in Old Town, Alexandria at Oronoco Bay Park, the 5K starts at Belle Haven Marina and finishes in Old Town, Alexandria at Oronoco Bay Park. Both races start at 8:00AM. Because the race is point to point, runners will have to take advantage of one of the transportation options we offer. View Transportation Options.
- Please note that our buses will be under police protection and loading may take additional time. Please arrive by 6:00am and be prepared to wait in line for bus loading. Participants must have their bib ready to show prior to boarding the bus. Only registered runners are allowed on buses. No exceptions.
- Vehicular access to the start is extremely limited. If you are being dropped off at the 10 Mile start, you will need to be dropped off south of the Post Office (there’s a bus turnaround approximately 800m south of the Post Office that will serve as a drop off point). You will not have access via vehicle to the Post Office OR the Circle in front of Mount Vernon Estates.
- No personal vehicles may park at Mount Vernon. Any personal vehicles parked at Mount Vernon will be towed.
- Please plan for extra time at the buses, as noted above, with enhanced security you may encounter lines with longer waits
- Restricted Parking: There is absolutely no vehicles allowed north of King and South of Pendleton on Union Street or where posted on Franklin Street. Any vehicle parked in these areas will be ticked and towed.
There is a bag drop for both the 10 mile race (Mt Vernon) and the 5K race (Belle Haven) located at the start area. Due to enhanced security, we ask that you allow for ample time to check your belongings. We strongly encourage you to use the clear plastic bags that were provided to you (see Packet Pick Up above for more details). Please note, all bags are subject to search.
After the races start (8:00am), all checked items will be shuttled to finish and waiting for you in the Park Festival area at Bag Claim.
PLEASE NOTE: Bag check and claim areas are manned by volunteers and staff. The event is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Leave at your own risk. Any items not picked up by the end of the event are taken to the Pacers Alexandria store and may be retrieved there. Items left after seven days will be tossed or donated to charity.
- Spectators tend to congregate along Union Street. Only bibbed runners, credentialed staff, and police will be allowed in and around the finish line chute. Absolutely NO exceptions. This will impact the area in which spectators may see you finish and also meet you back in the park. Please view this diagram for details on cheer locations and walking routes back to the park. We ask you share this information with your family and friends prior to race day.
- Spectators are allowed to view along any portion of the course, however, should be cognizant of road closures.
- Bikes will absolutely not be allowed on the parkway or the course, but are allowed on the bike path.
On Course Support
- Restrooms and water stops will be available at the starts, finish, and along the course.
- Water/hydration stations will be available on course at approximately every 2 miles.
- Medical support is managed by Alexandria Fire/EMS.
- In addition, we have medical volunteers stationed at the finish.
If you need medical assistance, please flag one of the 50+ officers located at each intersection of the course OR ask for assistance at any one of the water stations. In addition, bike and gator medics will be patrolling the course.
We depend on our participants to alert the appropriate personnel if they see anything out of the ordinary. If you see something, say something to a race official (all credentialed) or a uniformed police officer. Race officials and uniformed police are located at the start, along the course, and at the finish festival.
Please note that several neighboring jurisdictions will be lining the last mile of the 5K and 10 Mile in honor of Officer Peter Laboy. Many of these individuals lining the course will be uniformed officers with the primary purpose of cheering runners and supporting Officer Laboy. We mention to ensure there is no confusion as to the reason for the volume of uniformed officers along Union Street.
- We will have a sag bus following the last runner.
- This sag bus is manned by a nurse.
- If you feel like you cannot complete the event, please board the sag bus.
- You will also be asked to board if you fall behind our course time limits.
- If you board the sag bus, you may NOT get off the sag bus and continue on the course.
Awards and Post-Race Party
Celebrate your accomplishment with friends and family at Oronoco Bay Park. We will have post race food and refreshments for runners as well as music.
Must be 21 to consume alcohol.